Songs for Trauma Healing
Chapter 1 - If God Loves Us Why Do We Suffer?
10. What happened to Adam and Eve when they sinned? Instead of being holy and happy, they became sinful and miserable.
And the Lord God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil.” Genesis 3:22
11. What did Adam’s sin do to you? It made me guilty and sinful.
Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned. Romans 5:12
5. Run to Jesus.
Let the one who is thirsty come and drink of the waters. Come and drink of the waters, free gift of waters, life-giving waters, come.
Christ will return to judge the world on the last day.
Come again, Jesus. Come to Jesus! Run to Jesus! Revelation 22:12, 17, 20
13. He will wipe away every tear.
He will wipe away every tear from their eyes. There will be not death, there will be no mourning, there will be no crying or pain. Revelation 21:4
14. What will the new heavens and the new earth be like? The new heaven and the new earth will be a place of happiness and glory, where we believers will always be with the Lord.
Never will they hunger; never will they thirst. Never will the sun beat down on them, they won’t be hurt. For the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepherd; he will lead them to springs of living water, and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes. Revelation 7:16-17
Chapter 2 - How Can the Wounds of our Heart be Healed?
1. What is prayer? Prayer is praising God for who he is, thanking God for what he’s done, and asking him for things he has promised.
Let your gentleness be clear, for the Lord is near. Do not be anxious, but in everything, by prayer and petition, be thankful, present your requests to God, and the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:5-7
14. Can you go to Heaven with a sinful nature? No, my heart must be changed before I can go to Heaven.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16
15. What is this change of heart called? Regeneration, being “born again.”
I will give you a new heart, and put a new spirit in you. I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. I will put my Spirit in you, and move you to follow my decrees and you will be careful to keep my laws. Ezekiel 36:26-27
16. Who can change a sinner’s heart? Only God can change a sinner’s heart.
Salvation is found in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
17. Who is the Redeemer of God’s elect? The only Savior of men is the Lord Jesus Christ, who being the eternal Son of God, became man and so is both God and man in two natures and one person.
“I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” John 14:6
18. How is your heart changed? My heart is changed by the Holy Spirit because of the grace of God.
When the kindness and love of God appeared, God our Savior, he saved us, not because of righteous things we’ve done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior. Titus 3:4-6
Chapter 3 - What Happens When Someone is Grieving
3. Did Adam obey God? No, Adam chose to disobey God.
When the woman saw the fruit of the tree, that it was good for food and pleasing to see, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate, and gave some to her husband who was with her, and he ate it. Genesis 3:6
4. How did God punish Adam’s disobedience? Adam’s punishment was death and separation from God.
Thorns and thistles, cursed is the ground. Pain and toil, through which you will eat - all the days of your life. Adam was banished from the Garden of Eden, to work the ground from which he came, driven out of the Garden of Eden, guarded by the cherubim and flame. Genesis 3:17-24
5. What is Sin? Sin is disobedience against God’s perfect law by failing to do what God commands or doing what God forbids.
Remember thy tender mercies, O Lord, and your steadfast love, for they have been of old. Remember not the sins of my youth nor my transgressions; according to thy mercy remember me, for the sake of your goodness, O Lord! Psalm 25:6-7
Chapter 4 - Getting Our Pain out through Laments
15. Is God displeased with those who do not love and obey him? Yes, God is angry with the wicked every day.
O righteous God, on High, who searches minds and hearts; end the violence of the wicked and make the righteous secure. My shield is God Most High, who saves the upright in heart. God is a righteous judge, feeling anger every day. Psalm 7:9-11
Don’t tear your clothing in your grief, but tear your hearts instead. Return to the Lord your God, for he is mercy and compassion, slow to anger, filled with unfailing love. (He is eager to relent!) Joel 2:13
2. United with Him.
For, if we have been united with him, in a death like his, we will certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his. Our old self was crucified with him, so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with, no longer slaves to sin; the old self was crucified with him. Because anyone who has died has been set free from sin, crucified. If we have died with Christ, we will also live with him. Romans 6:5-8
Chapter 5 - How Can We Listen Well to Others?
7. What kind of death did Christ die? A painful and shameful death on the cross.
Do not be selfish, don’t try to impress, don’t think of yourself as better than the rest. Care about others, not only yourself, let the mind of Christ be in you, that’s best. Let the mind of Christ be in you, who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to grasp. Christ humbled himself, he became a servant. Born in the likeness of man, he became a servant. God exalted his name, gave him the name above every name. Every knee will bow, every tongue will confess that Christ is Lord. To the glory of God, glory be to the Father! Philippians 2:3-11
Chapter 6 - Helping Traumatized Children
18. Does Christ care for little children? Yes, for he says in Mark 10:14, “Let the children come to me; don’t forbid the children come to me, the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.”
Let the little children come to me, don’t forbid the children come to me; the kingdom belongs to such as these. Truly I say to you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter the kingdom of God. Mark 10:14-15
Chapter 7 - Helping People living with HIV or AIDS
19. What is Grace? Grace is God’s kindness to us when we deserve punishment.
You are a people holy to the Lord your God. The Lord your God has chosen you out of all the earth, a people, God’s treasured possession. Deuteronomy 7:6
Chapter 8 - Helping Victims of Rape
20. What work did Christ do to save you? Christ perfectly kept the law of God and suffered the punishment due for my sins.
God made him, who had no sin, to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. 2 Corinthians 5:21
22. What do we gain from the work of Christ? God regenerates, justifies, and sanctifies those who believe in Christ.
You were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of God. 1 Corinthians 6:11
Chapter 9 - Care for the Caregiver
4. What is the 4th commandment? Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
There remains then a Sabbath rest for the people, for the people of God. For in six days God made the heavens and the earth, then he rested the seventh day from his own work. He who enters God’s rest, also rests from his own works. Make every effort to enter that rest, so you won’t fall. Therefore, since we have a great High Priest who’s gone before us, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith that we profess. He was tempted, like us, yet without sin. Let us approach the throne of grace with confidence, so we may receive mercy in our time of need. Rest in Jesus, our great High Priest, the Son of God. Hebrews 4
Chapter -10 Taking our Pain to the Cross
9. How is Christ your prophet? Christ teaches me the will of God.
From the scroll of Isaiah 61, Christ stood up to read: “The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach the good news to the poor, to set the prisoner free, to give sight to the blind, release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.” Luke 4:16-19 Everything I have learned from my Father I have made known to you. John 15:15
Chapter 11 - Forgiving Others
9. What is the fifth petition of the Lord’s Prayer? Forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
For if you forgive others when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others, when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will not forgive your sins. Matthew 6:14-15
21. Can anyone be saved by his own works? No one can be saved by his own works.
For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God. Ephesians 2:8-9
Chapter 12 - How Can We Live as Christians in the Midst of Conflict?
29. What does it mean to repent? To repent is to be sorry for sin, and to hate and forsake it because it displeases God.
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear and I’ll forgive their sins. 2 Chronicles 7:14
7. Who is stronger, God or Satan? God is much stronger.
You are from God, little children, and you have overcome them; for greater is he who is in you than he who is in the world. 1 John 4:4
14. Is God pleased with those who love and obey him? Yes, he loves those who love him.
I love those who love me, and those who seek me will find me. Proverbs 8:17
He who has my commands and keeps them, it is he who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him, and I will show myself to him. John 14:21
Chapter 13 - Preparing for the Future
25. What is sanctification? Sanctification is God making me holy in heart and behavior.
May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul, and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful; God will make it happen. 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24
26. What are the two parts of sanctification? Dying to sin and living to righteousness.
I’ve been crucified with Christ. I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:20
6. Who is Satan? Satan is an evil spirit who is the enemy of God and all Christians.
Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the Devil prowls like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 1 Peter 5:8
We create lively, fun songs that attempt to deliver the deepest Biblical truths in a format that children will
Songs for Saplings is James and Dana Dirksen. We live in Portland, OR, and have 6 beautiful children. We thank God that He has allowed us to share the Good News that Jesus came to seek and save that which was lost.